- Jambo – Swahili word for hello. Used plenty during my trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
- Jumbo – Chichewa word for the ubiquitous plastic bag! Earlier this year, the Government of Malawi banned the sale and use of thin plastic bags. But of course, this is Malawi… so there was considerable legal wrangling to overturn this! Officially, it’s an attempt to protect the environment and curb the scourge of…
Everybody has a Saturday morning routine.
Mine has changed since coming home and starting work again. I have a recurring calendar entry to remind me to do laundry!
But I still get a reminder of what it used to…
- iHRIS – see all related posts here.
There are many reasons I went to Malawi, back in October 2012. As I discovered after arriving, iHRIS was probably the biggest reason of them all.
It is the system (and project of the same name) commissioned by the Ministry of Health, to be their new human resources management information system: a database of their healthworkers. VSO were engaged to support its…
- The Hash – Colloquial abbreviation for the Lilongwe Hash House Harriers.
I must admit that I was very confused when I first heard about the Hash. It was very soon after I arrived in Malawi and I genuinely thought people were advertising drugs on Lilongwe Chat!
A poignant farewell blog post from my fellow VSO volunteer. Well said Jess! I miss Malawi. Its good will, adventure and all its frustrations, too.
Originally posted on Malawi Nearly There Yet:
Over the past month that I have been back in the UK I have been trying to find the words to put in a final blog on my life in Malawi. I have failed miserably in this task and have now come…
Chichewa word of the day: Mtengo
One of the very large trees in her garden has just been chopped down, Malawian style! Visit her blog post here.
Equipped only with a panga knife. Not even a rope.
That’s seriously high!
- Game - Game itself is a South African chain of general merchandise retailer / department store. The “Game Complex” in Old Town is where most azungus go to do their weekly shop in Lilongwe.
- Goat - Mbuzi in Chichewa. A serious road hazard because they love crossing when there’s a car approaching!
- Goat stew – My favourite traditional Malawian dish. Especially when it’s cooked by my friend Auden.
Unlike Nigeria and its “Nollywood“, Malawi is not particularly well known for its homegrown cinema. This video may not change that view any time soon but it’s always great and refreshing to see something new in Malawi. The style is certainly different to what I’m normally used to but you can see the Jackie Chan influence at work.
My Son is co-directed by and stars Ernest Thamangiwa, who as it…
Flavours Cafe - One of the few good lunching spots for expats and Malawians, in Lilongwe. If we ever feel like splashing out a little of our volunteer’s living allowance, that’s where you’ll find us.